So today two posts in a row, some breakfast ideas, which is very commonly made in almost all the kerala kitchen.
1. Chick Pea/Bengal Gram/Black Channa/Black Kadala- 2 cups
2. Onion- 1/2,finely chopped
3. Oil- 1 tsp
4. Mustard seeds, to splutter
5. Dry Red chillies-1, split into three
6. Curry Leaves-1 sprig
7. Salt,to taste
8. Ground Coconut Paste/ Massolu- 2 tbsp
9. Eastern Meat Masala- 2 tsp
10. Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
1. Soak the chana in a bowl lot of water for 8-12 hours. Best to keep it soaked overnight. A lot of water must be poured into the bowl, since the chana doubles its size while it is soaked to keep it still immersed in water.
2. In a pressure cooker, add 6 cups of water for 2 cups of chana, 1 tbsp salt and the turmeric powder and cook.
3. When the steam starts coming from the cooker nozzle,keep the weight and simmer to medium flame and cook the chana for 45 minutes.
4.In a wok,heat oil, splutter mustard seeds,red chillies and curry leaves.
5. Saute onion to translucent.
6. Add the meat masala and coconut curry paste and saute for a minute.
7. Now add the chana with 1/2 cup of the stoke in which the chana was cooked.
8. Simmer and cook by keeping the lid for 10 minutes. Adjust salt if required.
9. Switch off the flame,garnish with curry leaves and serve hot with puttu,appam,parotta,roti,idiyappam,Dosa etc: