1. Wheat flour/ Atta- 1/2 cup
2. All-purpose flour/ Miada- 1 3/4 cup
3. Yeast- 2 tsps
4. Sugar- 1/2 tsp
5. Salt- 1 tsp
6. Olive oil- 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
1. In a large mixing bowl, pour 1 cup luke warm water. Add yeast and sugar. Stir to dissolve.
2. Add the wheat flour and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and whisk together.
3. Place bowl in a warm place for about 15 minutes, uncovered, until mixture is frothy and bubbling.
4. Add salt, olive oil and nearly all remaining all-purpose flour (reserve 1/2 cup).
5. With a wooden spoon stir until mixture forms a mass.
6. Dust with a little reserved flour, then knead in bowl for 1 minute.
7. On a plain surface, keep the dough and knead lightly for 2 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
8. Then knead again for 2 minutes, the dough should be soft and rubbery.
9. Cover and keep the dough in the bowl wrapped inside a moist clean cloth. Keep bowl in a warm place.
10. Leave until dough has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
11. Make balls out of the dough bigger balls than a roti and flatten it with a rolling pin.
12. The dough should not be flattened too thin. Thick parata is better.
13. Heat oven to 475 degree farenheit, and keep the pitas on a tray with aluminium foil.
14. The baking tray shoul be kept on the highest rack.
15. Breads will puff up like pooris.
16. Serve hold with salads or curries or make rolls with veggies,mayonnaise and chicken.
Monday, June 20, 2016
All time favorite Indian Coffee House Cutlets with beetroot.
Ginger and garlic - 2 tbsp crushed
Green chillies - 3 chopped
Onion - 2 medium finely chopped
Coriander leaves - 2-3 tbsp chopped
Curry leaves- 5 finely chopped
To cook in a cooker:
Beetroot - 1 medium cubed
Green Peas-1 cup
Carrot-1/2 cup, cubed
Potato - 4 medium
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Fennel powder - ½ tsp
Garam masala/Eastern Chicken Masala - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1tsp
Bread crumbs - 2 cups
Semolina - ½ cup (optional)
Plain flour - 1/4 cup
Cornflour- 1/4 cup
Oil - Coconut Oil
Method of Preparation:
1. In a pressure cooker cook beetroot, carrot and washed green peas with some salt.
2. Once cooked grate or mash the carrot and beetroot mix well with the green peas without mashing them.
3. Cook the cubed peeled potatoes with enough salt.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped ginger, garlic,green chillies and curry leaves. Cook for 2-3 mins or till the raw smell goes.
5. Add the chopped onion and cook till it becomes tranlucent.
6. Add all the masala powders and mix well.
7. Add the cooked veggies and salt, mix well.
8. Add chopped coriander leaves.
9. Let the veggie mixture cool completely.
10. Add the mashed potatoes and 2 tbsp bread crumbs to the mixture and mix well.Make sure there are no lumps. keep aside.
11. Make a medium thick paste with plain flour, cornflour, little salt and water.
12. Mix together the bread crumbs and rava.
13. Shape the veg mixture into desired shapes.
14. Dip the shaped cutlets in this batter & roll in bread crumbs.
15. Heat oil in a wok and deep fry until golden brown.
16 Serve hot with dipping sauce and thinly sliced onion mixed in vinegar or lime juice.