Friday, April 21, 2017
Salmon: 1 lb/ around 8 pieces
Coconut Oil : 2 tbsp
Fenugreek Seeds : a pinch
Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
Ginger crushed:1 tbsp
Garlic crushed: 1 tbsp
Shallots : 8 nos thinly sliced
Green Chillies : 2 nos
Curry Leaves : 2 sprig
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
Red Chilly Powder : 1 tbsp +1 tsp
Coriander Powder: 1 tbsp
Kukum Star/kudampuli : 3 pieces soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
Salt to taste
1. Clean fish with turmeric and salt and wash them well. Keep Aside.
2. In a bowl mix all the powders: red chilly powder, turmeric and coriander powder in a tsp of water and mix thoroughly and keep aside.
3. In a pan pour in the oil and splutter the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
4. Add crushed ginger and garlic. Saute them till the raw smell goes.
5. Add shallots, curry leaves and green chillies.
6. Once the shallots turns transparent, add the powder mixed in water.
7. Keep stirring until raw taste goes. (take care not to burn them)
8. Now add the kudampuli along with the soaked water.
9. Add water now into the pan enough to keep all the fish pieces just immersed and stir well.
10. Let the gravy boil.
11. Add enough salt and stir well.
12. Add the fish pieces and cook until done.
13. Do not flip or stir occasionally. It will break the fish pieces.
14. Finally sprinkle a tsp of coconut oil and a few curry leaves.
15. Keep closed until served, all the flavors gets locked inside.
1. If u add the powders directly it will get burned as we are using very less onion/shallots in the mix and moisture is very less inside the pan, so always better mixing them with small amount of water and adding into the hot pan.
2. Always wash the kukum star/kudampuli well under running water before soaking else it will give a bitter taste to the gravy.
3. Do not add too much water to make gravy.
4. Add salt only after the gravy gets boiled.
5. Best used after 2 hours or the next day. You can keep them overnight and serve with all the flavors locked.
6. The sourness increase in time, so when you feel the sourness is enough you can get rid of one or two kukkum pieces and keep the rest.
7. Do not stir once fish pieces are added just twisting the whole pan would be enough. If required flip the fish pieces just once upside down.
8 Best served with kerala rice or kappa puzhuk.
Thursday, April 6, 2017
1. All purpose flour- 3/4 cup
2. Atta- 3/4 cup
4. Orange Juice- 1 cup
5. Butter- 1/2 cup (1 stick)
6. Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
7. Baking Powder- 1/2 tsp
8. Powdered Sugar- 1 cup
1. Mix together flour, atta, sugar, baking soda and baking powder.
2. Add in eggs, melted butter,and whisk well.
3. Add the orange juice and mix well.
4 In a baking tray pour in the mixture and tap for any air space.
5. Bake at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 40-50 minutes.
6. Check by inserting a toothpick till the bottom of the pan comes out clean.
7. Cool it for 15 minutes still inside tray.
8. Take the cake outside and cool it completely for 3 hours and serve.
9. Can be stored in air tight container for a week.
Sunday, April 2, 2017
1. All purpose Flour- 2 cups
2. Baking Powder- 1/2 tsp
3. Baking Powder- 1/2 tsp
4. Powdered Sugar- 1 1/4 cup
5. Banana-2 (mashed well without lumps)
6. Butter- 1/2cup (1 stick)
7. Whole Milk- 1 cup
This is a very soft moist cake with a good banana aroma and flavor. Worth trying and good with the benefits of butter,egg,banana and milk for the kids too.
1. Sieve together all the powders: all purpose flour,baking powder, baking soda and powdered sugar twice.,
so that there are no lumps and are mixed together.
2. Now into the dry powder ingredients, add eggs,milk,mashed bananas and butter. Butter should be brought to room tempt and should be liquid by warming it or microwave it 20 seconds.
3. Whisk together and mix everything together to make a uniform paste. whisk for 3 to 4 minutes using an electric or hand whisker.
4. Apply some oil or butter to the pan and bake it on 350 degree Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Insert a tooth pick deep inside till bottom and see it comes out clean without any batter on it.
5. Cool it until its touchable and slowly take the cake outside the pan. Cool it completely on a board or a plate.
In between change the position or just keep it as if the base also gets cooled.
6. Store in an air tight box when completely cooled and in room tempt. It can be stored for 4 days. Keep refrigerated if you want to use it after.