Indian coffe House dishes are my all time favorite. Whenever I am in my home town, Alappuzha I try to get a parcel from there atleast once. The masala dosa,Veg/Mutton Cutlets and Mutton Omelettes are always tempting. Mutton omelette is my elder sister's favorite, she always love have one every sunday when we buy a parcel from there. Here in the USA, there is no way we get a taste of them. Me and my husband did a reverse engineering about the contents of this recipe. I gave a try and I tell you it was damn successful, we both loved it. The secret ingredient is aniseeds/perinjeerakam and the home-made Garam masala. This blew our mind away. Whenever I make this, I think of my elder sister,dedicating this recipe to her.
1.Mutton-chopped into very very small pieces(kothiya mutton)-2 cup
2.Oil 4 tbsp
3.Mustard Seeds 1/2 tsp
4.Aniseeds(Perinjeerakam) 1 1/2 tsp
5.onion 2 chopped
6.Ginger-Garlic paste 1 1/2 tsp
7.Green Chillies 2 chopped
8.Chilly Powder 1 1/2 tbsp
9.Coriander Powder 1 tbsp
10.Garam Masala 2 tbsp
11.Pepper Powder 1 tbsp
13.Vinegar 2 tsp
14.Curry Leaves, a few
2. SAlt,to taste
3. Milk- 2 tbsp
1. Clean and cut mutton into very very fine pieces.(Donot grind in a mixie or minse mutton to get the fine pieces).
2. Heat Oil in a pan,splutter mustard seeds.
3. Add aniseeds (perinjeerakam).
4. Once it is brown,add the sliced onion,chopped green chillies and ginger-garlic paste and the mutton at the same time. Saute well.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Add chilly powder,coriander powder,vinegar,half of the pepper powder and the home-made garam masala. Add some of the curry leaves and fry nicley.
7. Add 1 glass full water and mix well. When it starts boiling,keep the lid on and cook the mutton well by making the flame to low. (Keep in mind that mutton will get cooked earlier than the usual cooking since its finely chopped).
8.Once cooked, reduce the excess water if left over by keeping in medium flame and the pan open. Add the rest of the curry leaves and sprinkle some pepper powder on top and mix once and switch off the flame.
8. In a bowl, beat eggs and add salt and milk into it, to make it fluffy.
9. In a wide open pan, add 2 tsps of oil and pour the egg mixture into it. After a minute, spread 3-4 tbsps of the mutton mixture into it and spread all over. Close the lid and cook till the omelette is fully cooked.
10. Fold one half of the omelette to the other, Serve hot.