This is a very popular snack in Kerala. This is also a common-man's snack at the chaaya peedika usually had with tea in the evening.
1. Potato-1,cooked and mashed
2. Onion-1/2 thinly sliced
3. Oil- 2 tbsp
4. Mustard seeds, to splutter
5. Jeera,to splutter
6. Curry leaves- 4-5, chopped
7. Green chillies-3, chopped
8. Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
9. Salt,to taste
1. Besan Flour/Gram flour- 1 cup
2. Heeng/asafetida- 1/2 tsp
3. Chilly Powder- 1 tsp
4. Salt, to taste
1. In a wok, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds and jeera.
2. Then add green chillies, curry leaves and finally add the sliced onion.
3. Saute till onion becomes translucent.
4. Add turmeric powder and saute till the raw taste goes.
5. Add mashed potatoes into it, add salt.
6. Add 1/4 cup water and mix well.
7. Keep the lid closed and heat in high for 3 minutes.
8. Open the lid, stir well and try out the water making sure that all the flavors have infused each other.
9. Switch off the flame and let it cool.
Making batter and frying:
1. In a bowl mix all the ingredients for batter, add 1 1/4 cup water and mix thoroughly to a thick batter.
2. Make medium sized balls out of the masala mix.
3. Heat enough oil in a wok for deep frying the balls.
4. Take the balls and dip one-by-one in the batter and put into the oil.
5. Deep fry them into crisp golden color until the batter cooks.
6. Serve hot with some ketchup or chutney and hot tea.