Monday, January 31, 2011
1. Spinach/Pacha Cheera- 1 bunch
2. Thoor Dal/Thuvara Parippu- 3 tbsp
3. Shredded Coconut-1/4 cup
4. Slat to taste
5. Chilly Powder- 1 tsp
6. Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
7. Mustard seeds, to splutter
8. Coconut oil- 1 tbsp
1. Remove the roots, soak the spinach bunches in water for 15 minutes.
2. Wash and clean them well under running water.
3. Chop the spinach leaves along with the tender soft stems.
4. In 2 cups of water, cook the dal till three-forth is done. (Cook for 30-35 mnts).
5. In a wok,add oil, splutter mustard seeds when oil is hot.
6. Put the spinach into the wok, cover and cook, Do not add any trace of water into it. Water will come out from the leaves and it will be enough to cook the leaves.Add some salt to taste.
7. In a bowl, mix together the shredded coconut, chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt taste.
9. Stir well, cover and cook till the spinach as well as dal is fully cooked.
10. Stir and adjust salt if needed. Serve with kerala rice, pulissery, achar and pappadam.