Thursday, June 17, 2010
Sharkara Ada Pradhaman
1. Sarkara (Jaggery) 1 cup
2. Coconut Milk 1 cup
3. Ada 3/4 cup
4. Cardamom Powder 1 tsp
5. Cashew Nuts and Raisins, a few
1. In a heavy bottom vessel, add 3 tbsp water and add sarakara. Let it liquidify in low flame.
2. Drain the liquid thru a clean cotton cloth. Do this two times till all the dirty particles from the jaggery is removed.
3. Boil 3 cups of water,add a drop of oil and add the washed ada into it. Ada can be washed in running water. Once ada is cooked wash it again under running water to remove the oil on it.
4. Into a heavy bottom pan add the jaggery and cooked ada. Stir continously since there are chances of jaggery sticking to the bottom.
5. After 5 minutes, add half the coconut milk mixed with water(randam pal) and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. When the raw taste of the coconut milk goes, add the thick coconut milk(onnam pal) and cardamom powder.
7. Fry cashews and raisins in 1 tbsp ghee and pour it into the payasam. Serve after the sadya (feast) with pazham (banana) and pappadam (pappad).
Do not add too much water into the jaggery, it will lead to lot of cooking time to make it into thick consistency.
Ada must be washed properly after cooking, otherwise the oil on it will spoil the dish by curding the coconut milk.
This goes best with pazham (banana) and tastes better when there are cashews and raisins in it.