Thursday, June 17, 2010
1. Ada - 1 cup
2. Milk - 3 cup
3. Sugar - 2 cup
4. Cardamom Powder- 1/2 tsp
5. Oil, very little
6. Cashew nuts and Raisins, a few
1. Wash the ada in cold water first, then in hot water.
2. Into the cooker, add water, a drop of oil and ada. Let it whistle one time.
3. Then wash ada properly under running water to remove all the oil on its surface.
4. Wash the cooker properly to remove any signs of oil in it.
5. Now, into the cooker add milk, washed ada, sugar and the cardamom powder. Keep in medium flame.
6. After the first whistle, put the flame to simmer and let it whistle for 1 more time.
4. Milk will be thick enough for the consistency of payasam, in case its not thick pour it into a heavy bottom wide mouthed pan. Simmer and keep stirring.
5. In a pan, add 1 tbsp ghee and fry the split cashews and raisins. Pour this into the payasam. Serve after a wonderful sadhya(feast) with pazham(banana) and pappadam(pappad).
I used store-bought ada which is a little thick. So the number of whistles will depend on the amount of cooking needed. If you are using home-made or thin ada, the time for cooking can be less. Check after the second whistle and then again cook only if required.
Those who do not like ghee and nuts, the last step can be avoided. Without them also the payasam will turn to be very very delicious.