The food from Thailand is really amazing, especially for us keralaities. They prepare most of their dishes in coconut milk. Not too spicy, but very very delicious. I feel its an upgraded version of Chinese cuisines. Here (In USA) 10 miles from our home, there is a very nice restaurant named 'Bangkok' which serves the most delicious Thai cuisines. The main dishes include Fried rice in Thai curry sauce and Chicken or Veggies in Coconut curry sauce. Every weekend me and my husband enjoy being there. To reduce the frequency of the visit I thought finding out the exact recipe and could successfully do it at home. Here, a vegetarian version of the Thai curry sauce with mushrooms and bell peppers (Capsicum). Maximum cooking time for this dish is 5 minutes.
1. Curry Powder 1/2 tsp
2. Pepper Powder 3/4 tsp
3. Crushed Chili Powder 1 tsp
4. Olive Oil/Vegetable Oil/Canola Oil 1 tbsp
5. Half the onion cut into long thin slices
6. Green chillies chopped 1
7. Garlic cloves 2
8. Unsweetened Coconut Milk 1 1/2 cup
9. Cornflour 1 tsp
10. Grated ginger 1 tsp
11. 6 White Button Mushrooms cut into one-forth
12. Half of a Bell Pepper (Capsicum) cut into long thin slices
13. Half a Carrot cut into long thin slices
1. In a pan, add oil. Then add garlic and curry powder. Saute it for few seconds.
2. Add chilli powder, chopped green chillies. Saute.
3. Add onion, bell pepper and mushrooms. Toss well till mushrooms start becoming soft.
4. Add the coconut milk and let it boil.
5. Add pepper powder and grated ginger.
6. Now at this point, add cornflour mixed in a tsp water into it. When it starts becoming like sauce. Switch off the flame. Serve hot with steamed rice or fried rice.
Do not cook mushroom too much, just it have to start becoming soft. It must be still stiff.
The whole cooking must be done in high flame. The cooking time will be maximum of 5 minutes.
This is a very easy dish and very very tasty. The same sauce without veggies can be added into the normal fried rice before adding other sauces like soy and chili into it. That is served as Fried Rice in Thai curry sauce in their restaurants.
The non veg version of this dish can be done with the same procedure, at the time of adding the vegetables,cooked meat can also be added and tossed together.