1. Semiya/Vermicelli 1 cup
2. Sugar 1 cup
3. Condensed milk(sweetened) 1/2 a tin (optional)
4. Milk-3 cups
5. Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp
6. Cashews,Raisins- afew
7. Ghee- 2 tbsp
1. Boil milk and add semiya into it.
2. Simmer till semiya cooks(become very soft and mashed up when rubbed up with fingers). It will double its size when fully cooked.
3. By this time, milk will get reduced to half. You can make it sure when milk turns pale yellow in color.
4. Now, add sugar and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add milk-maid and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir well.
6. Fry cashews and raisins in the ghee and add into this. Serve after lunch/feast.
Vermicelli payasam can also be eaten as a pudding by keeping it in the refrigerator for 3-4 hrs. Its also very very delicious.
Milk-maid is completely optional. This makes the milk thickening a little easier,so the cooking time and standing at the stove time can be reduced. Depending on the sweetness of the condensed milk, sugar can be adjusted to your taste.
In case you are not adding the condensed milk, increase the amount of sugar to 2 cups.