1. Black Gram/Uzhunnu/Urud dal- 1 cup
2. Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
3. Green chillies- 3-4 chopped
4. Crushed pepper- 1/2 tsp
5. Pepper powder- 1/4 tsp
6. Salt, to taste
7. Curry leaves chopped, a few
8. Onion chopped- 1/2 the onion
1. Soak urud dal for 6-7 hours with enough water to cover them.
2. Grind it properly till it starts kind of frothing. Do not add so much water while grinding. Add maximum of 5-6 tbsp of water. Make it to a very thick paste. Otherwise it will be difficult to shape them and it will tend to absorb a lot of oil.
3. When ground with a grinder, it will be properly aerated and can be used directly. But while ground in a mixie, it will not be properly aerated. So after grinding in a mixie, pour it into a vessel and mix well with a spatula atleast 30times it must be mixed, so that the dough gets evenly aerated and the color changes from pale-white to pure-white. This makes the vada very soft and airy inside and crispy outside.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients from 2-8. Mix well.
5. Brush both the hands with some water, take 2 tbsp full of dough into your hand and pat well to a little thick round from and make a small hole in the middle.
6. Slide it int o the hot oil right away from you hand. Dont even try to transfer it to a plate and fry later after finishing all of them. Do i one-by one and fry it right away.
7. Deep fry them in hot oil till its golden brown in color.
8. Serve hot with Coconut chutney and a hot cup of coffee.