Monday, January 17, 2011
Chena/Elephant Foot Yam Elissery/Erissery
Elephant Yam/Chena, cut into small equal cubes- 2 cups
Moong dal/ Cheru payar- 1/4 cup
Shredded Coconut - 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds/Jeerakam- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 3/4 tsp
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds, to splutter
Dry red chillies- 1 split into 3
Curry leaves - A few
1. Cook moong dal in a cooker.
2. Cook chena with some salt in a cooker.
3. Grind together grated coconut,turmeric powder and chilly powder.
4. Mix all the three together and allow to boil and the raw taste of the coconut paste goes.
5. In a pan, add oil, splutter mustard seeds and jeera.
6. Add some curry leaves, fry 3 tbsp of grated coconut and add this mixture into the chena curry.
7. Close the lid and keep, switching off the flame.
8. Mix well before serving, without mashing the dal or chena.
Variations can be made by using van payar/cow peas instead of moong dal.
Those who are concerned about cholesterol the final frying of shredded coconut can be avoided. Since coconut oil and coconut paste is included in the recipe. But this fried coconut adds a lot taste to this dish. Enjoy with Kerala matta rice and moru curry.